Minutes of PCC 09/05/19

THE PARISH OF ST PETER – IN –THANET

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL HELD ON THE 9th MAY 2019

Present

S.Mills (SM), R. Baker (RB), C. Pile (CP), R. Page (RP), P. Osborne (PO),

G.Horne (GH), J. Binfield (JB), R. Brown (Roy B), S.Brooks (Mins)

VISITORS

Elspeth Cooke   Gill Page

CHAIR Rev Jan Durrans

  1. WELCOME

    The meeting opened with Communion led by Rev Jan Durrans. She extended a special welcome to Caroline Pile who is attending her first PCC meeting and to the visitors, Elspeth Cooke and Gill Page.

  2. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

    Apologies have been received from Roger Waddell, Mary Bridges and Kate McGregor.

  3. SAFEGUARDING REPORT

    Elspeth Cooke updated the PCC with the details of her report. She stressed that safeguarding is everybody’s responsibility. The PCC is required to issue policies on safeguarding. The policy statement has been circulated and adopted. It is displayed on noticeboards and will be reviewed annually. The diocesan hand book is available on line with a print copy to follow. DBS checks are reviewed every five years and any necessary training will be given. The next local course is on 22nd June at St Phillips, Margate. Elspeth suggested a spread sheet be used to record everyone’s training history.

    When responding to complaints, Elspeth Cooke, in her capacity as Parish Safeguarding Officer, should be contacted immediately. It is her responsibility to liaise with the police. We need to be aware that victims of abuse, which may be recent or historical, require ministry. Offenders may also require pastoral care, so we need to rely on Diocesan advice. Safeguarding Officers are appointed annually and their appointment is approved by the PCC, Vicar and Churchwardens. Hirers of the halls must be aware of our safeguarding policy, which must be displayed (together with the link to diocesan website for safeguarding.)
    Elspeth left the meeting at the conclusion of this item.


  4. GDPR

    Gill Page has circulated notes for this item. Those not on the electoral roll are being contacted to see if they want to join. Access is restricted to Gill, Revd Jan and Simon, (Parish Assistant.) The Hall’s database has been updated, access restricted to Gill and Simon. We are awaiting the relevant forms for boot fair contacts. Simon will need training in the use of Microsoft Office which is more secure than G Mail. All mailshots are sent by Gill. All paper records are locked in the Parish Office. There is a “right to know ” policy to enable anyone to see what information is in their records. The policy is on the website and will be reviewed regularly, probably at five year intervals. The PCC thanked Gill for all her hard work and also to Robin Page who assisted.
    Gill left the meeting at the conclusion of this item.


  5. MINUTES OF THE PCC MEETING HELD ON 7TH APRIL 2019

    The minutes for 7th April were proposed as correct by PO, seconded by RP and agreed unanimously.


  6. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING ON 7TH APRIL 2019

    None

  7. REVIEWING TERMS OF REFERENCE


Terms of Reference for the following committees have been reviewed and accepted. Fabric, Social, Mission and worship, Halls and Finance. The Chair of the Fabric Committee has asked for the urgent repair allowance to be increased from £500 to £750.

JD proposed acceptance, seconded by JB and agreed unanimously.

Terms of reference for Fund raising and the Garden of remembrance only need to be reviewed tri annually.

Revd Jan listed all members and Chairs and cordially invited any of the PCC to join any of the committees.

DATES

The next APCM will take place on 26 April 2020. The next PCC meeting will take place on 6th June at 6.30.

 

  

  1. AOB

    Richard’s Fabric Report has been circulated. Thanet District Council has sent three quotes for the brick pier to be rebuilt but not all are for the same specification. The Structural Engineer will need to check the foundations to ensure they are sound enough for a new pier to be built in the same place.

We have been advised that the church boiler is not in need of replacement (as previously advised) and Grummants can service it at a cost of £1154.60 annually. The service will be performed in the autumn.

One more table is needed to complete the porch area, at a cost of £666. It was thought by some to be rather expensive so at the suggestion of JB, the Fabric Committee will check to see if the existing gate-leg table can be used instead.

Revd Jan advised that Patrick Dunn will be on leave in August and has found cover for the services (and weddings) whilst he is away.   Revd Jan suggested that the evening services should be cancelled in August to keep the cost of cover down. This was agreed by the PCC.

The Pentecost Service on 9th June will be a joint one with the other churches in St Peters and Holy Communion will be celebrated in the Garden of Remembrance.

The Deanery Synod are planning a mission in Thanet and would like a team from each church, meeting initially in the autumn. This item will be referred to the Mission and Worship Committee.

A faulty intruder alarm at the Baptist Church caused PO and SM to be disturbed after midnight as they were called out in error. Rhodri from the Baptist Church sent his apologies.

           MB, KM, RW and PH need to complete the Fit and Proper Person Declaration form.

           Chairs of committees are asked to notify the Parish Administrator of their meeting dates.

          

The meeting closed with The Grace